Friday, July 20, 2012

Is our Prayer Life Meant for Facebook?

I have been wrestling with this for a while now.. I definitely welcome anyone's thoughts on this as well. I enjoy a good challenging/uplifting quote or verse out of someone's devotions just like the next person.. But what has rubbed me wrong is when people tell the world in their status that they're praying/having "Jesus time"/etc. From their perspective, maybe they're trying to motivate others to have their alone time with Jesus by being an example. I can even understand posting a prayer for others to use in their own devotions. But I can't help but wonder about motives when someone says they are praying in their status. It's as if someone walked into their prayer closet that has a PA system hooked up in it, and they yelled "I'm praying now!" for everyone to hear. I have my own devotions/prayer with God, but I don't broadcast it to the world. To me it sounds like "Look at me! I want people to see how spiritual I am and pat me on the back." It's as if getting "likes" on your status is getting praise from others for your prayer life, when that is furthest from what we are told to do in Scripture.

Matthew 6:1-8 says:

1"Be careful not to do your `acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."


In light of this passage, can we really justify telling the world that we're "having alone time with Jesus"? Doesn't that then make it public time with Jesus? Just food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment