Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Suffering

"Sorrow is better than laughter; for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better."
Eccles. 7:3

The following is from a devotional by L. B. Cowman:

Sorrow reveals unknown depths in the soul, and unknown capabilities of experience and service. Sorrow is God's plowshare that turns up the subsoils the depths of the soul, that it may yield richer harvests.

Sorrow, with despair taken out of it, is the chosen power to reveal ourselves to ourselves.

we can say, "Blessed is night, for it reveals the stars." And in this same way we can say, "Blessed is sorrow, for it reveals God's comfort."



Here is a song by Maltbie D. Babcock:

The dark brown mould's upturned
By the sharp-pointed plow;
And I've a lesson learned.

My life is but a field,
Stretched out beneath God's sky,
Some harvest rich to yield.

Where grows the golden grain?
where faith? Where sympathy?
In a furrow cut by pain.

Been choosing to thank God for my trials, to praise him in the midst of my crying.
I know that it is strengthening and sifting me.
So I welcome the sorrow, because it brings me closer to my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment